Monday, January 3, 2022

My health journey and thanks to my wife!

 
 I'm a vegetarian. I don't eat much street food or packaged food. So I expected to be healthy. So imagine my shock when I learned that I was pre-diabetic when I went for annual health checks a few years ago. That triggered my interest in learning more about food and improving my health.  My wife is also very interested in health and food and she was game for it. Thus began our research and experimentation with food.  The first change we made was to try slow carb diet. It did improve my markers a little bit. Then I had to move to Boston and got busy and food habits went back to the old ways.

In my next test, I discovered that not only was I pre-diabetic, but I had unhealthy cholesterol levels. This prompted us to work on our diet again, this time with more focus. We learnt more about seed oils and how they are dangerous. We changed oils to healthier ones and reduced the oil consumption. We improved our diet to add more salads, more beans and lesser rice. With all these changes, I'm happy to report that my blood markers have returned to normal levels.

Now if you read the above it might seem like simple changes. But the most important thing is to be consistent. For that, I'm super grateful to my wife. She took upon herself to integrate these changes into our life. She cooked the meals daily with fresh and healthy ingredients. Cooking meals daily from scratch three times a day is grinding work. Without her efforts, it wouldn't have been possible. I'm taking this chance to express my gratitude for her unsung and invaluable efforts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments