Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Applying laws of good habits

Continuing with James Clear's book Atomic Habits - I want to zoom in on the habit loop.

the habit loop is cue-craving-response-reward.

That gives the laws of behavior change

1. make it obvious
2. Make it attractive
3. Make it easy
4. Make is satisfying

 I will apply this to something I need to do e.g. say solving coding problems.

Make it obvious - It is already scheduled in my calendar and the time is also set. So it is obvious so much so that I never forget it.

Make it attractive -
1. Using temptation bundling, if I solve at least 3 problems daily, or totally at least 21 problems, then I get to watch a movie.
2. Join a group who solve coding problems. We can join coding problem solving sites like IB or hacker rank or other where you work on solving the problems.
3. Do something enjoyable immediately after a difficult habit. push my code to Github or read an interesting article both of which give satisfaction

Make it easy :-
1. Using the 2- minute rule. It is successful if I just start and read the first problem. I need not solve it also. At a minimum, I need to read the problem and start. That's it.
2.  I have all my laptop, coding editor, note book , pen all ready
3. I have no other distractions, I have eaten and am not thirsty

Make it satisfying:-
1. Reward if I solve 3 problems. Probably read an article.
2. Create a checkin chain in Github
3. Never miss twice : Remember what Vaman Sharma garu told us - ద్వితీయ విఘ్నము పనికి రాదు

You also use these four rules to create habits that stick. All the best and thanks to James Clear for such an amazing book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments